JOBS: Urban infrastructure specialist – Climate Action at European Investment Bank (EIB)
The EIB is the European Union's bank. We are the only bank owned by and representing the interests of the European Union Member States. We work closely with other EU institutions to implement EU policy. We are the world’s largest multilateral borrower and lender. We provide finance and expertise for sustainable investment projects that contribute to EU policy objectives.
- Analyze the technical, climate, environmental, economic, and other aspects of project proposals with a view to supporting business development and early screening of projects to assess compliance with Bank standards, and to identify suitability for EIB to provide advisory support;
- Where appropriate, interact with project promoters, in close cooperation and with full involvement of the operational departmentsâ€™ project teams at HQ and concerned local staff;
- Advise and follow up on climate, environmental, and social standards of the EIB in relation to projects;
- Advise and follow up on procurement processes;
- Monitor project implementation as necessary;
- Assist in the management of Technical Assistance operations involving the services of external consultants;
- Follow and support the development of project opportunities and prepare briefings on key issues and strategic developments relevant to the Bank;
- Where required and in full coordination with the Head of Office, build relations in the relevant areas of expertise with key external parties (e.g. international financing institutions, government representatives, local authorities, other institutions, etc);
- Where required and in full coordination with the Head of Office/HQ, represent the EIB at events, for example, regular sector meetings, conferences, or meetings with International Financial Institutions (IFIs);
- Provide input to monitoring reports, project completion reports, and project briefings to management;
- Provide input to the preparation of sector-related presentations for the Head and/or staff of the Nairobi Office;
- Participate in the general activities of the Nairobi Office, including internal meetings.
- Degree (Masters level or above) in relevant fields for the type of projects concerned in this post, in particular Engineering, but also Environmental Science, Urban Planning, and Economics;
- At least 8 years of experience with the planning, preparation, and implementation of urban infrastructure projects, with specific experience in urban mobility, affordable housing, climate mitigation, or climate adaptation being advantageous;
- Multi-country working experience particular in East Africa and other parts of Sub-Saharan Africa would be an advantage;
- Experience with evaluating proposals to finance projects, especially with international partners;
- Familiarity with the work of International Financial Institutions would be a strong advantage
- Experience with cities and relevant ministries dealing with regional or local government
- Excellent knowledge of English. Good knowledge of French is desirable;
- Solid IT (standard Office tools, particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and writing skills.
Method of Application